Water Quality Experts in Indianapolis
Our water quality experts at Mr. Plumber know how to assess your home’s water, listen to your concerns, and recommend solutions to improve the quality of your water. Our water quality analysis will identify problems such as hard water, chlorine, and total dissolved solids (TDS). We test for:
- Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
- Ferric Iron
- Ferrous Iron
- Bacterial Iron
- Hydrogen Sulfide
Ready to find out what’s in your water? Call us… Night or Day! (317) 660-4919.
What is hard water?
Water hardness is the amount of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water — hard water is high in both calcium and magnesium. The reason you can feel the difference on your skin is because soap reacts with the calcium to form soap scum. This results in the need for more soap or detergent to get things clean. And that’s where the term “hardness” came from… it’s hard to wash in.
The calcium and magnesium in hard water cause problems in your home such as:
- Glasses and dishes remain white filmed and spotted even after cleaning.
- Clothes can look gray and dingy because of reduced “sudsing” action.
- Clothes don’t last as long because of the harsh minerals in hard water.
- Clothes can feel stiff or harsh.
- The taste of tea and coffee can be affected by hard water.
- Clogged pipes and reduced water flow can be caused by hard water.
- Film and scale can accumulate on tile and bath/kitchen fixtures.
- Your skin can feel dry from an invisible soapy film left on it.
- Your hair can look dull and limp from excess filmy shampoo residue.
- The life of your water heater can be shortened by deposits of scale.
- Utility bills can increase due to accumulated scale in the water heater because scale is a poor conductor of heat which increases the energy needed to heat water.
Do you have any of the above signs of hard water? Our water quality expert can visit your home and analyze your water for only $17. Hard water is only one of the things that the water quality analysis can reveal.
Call us… Night or Day! (317) 660-4919.
Frequently Asked Questions
A build up of iron and manganese sulfides are the top causes for water stains on fixtures and clothes. When these mix with sulfates they create sulfides which creates a sulfuric smell.
A water quality analysis consists of tests to indicate the presence of harmful contaminants in your water.
Tap water quality depends on the state - and city - you live in. You should check your local city and state government sites to see if your tap water is safe to drink and cook with.
Soft water can remove calcium and magnesium in hard water. Calcium and magnesium can cause problems in your home, such as: itchy skin, white filmed glasses and dishes, clothes feeling siff or harsh, etc.
Yes. The calcium salts that build up in your scalp can cause dryness and flaking. Hard water can also make your skin feel dry and itchy.
You can remove hard water deposits by applying vinegar to the surface and scrubbing with a sponge. Make sure the sponge isn’t made of a material that could scratch the finish.
Indicators of hard water in your home include: white scaling on faucets, soap scum on tubs and sinks, mineral residue left on dishes and glasses
Chlorine in your drinking water… what do you need to know?
We have relied on chlorine to purify our water and kill unwanted microorganisms, and it has done a good job of killing most of them for over 100 years. But there are some down sides.
Chlorine treatment does not absolutely ensure the faucets in our home provide drinking water that is free of unhealthy microorganisms. Bacteria e-coli can occasionally be found in chlorinated tap water. So chlorine treatment doesn’t guarantee safe drinking water.
There are numerous health concerns related to chlorinated water that you can learn about here.
The above article poses the question “Do you know what happens when you put chlorine into a fish bowl?” Answer: All of the fish die. That is why fish tanks come with a de-chlorinator. So then why are we drinking and showering in chlorinated water?
Our water quality expert can visit your home and analyze your water for only $17. Chlorine is only one of the things that the water quality analysis can reveal.
Facts About Drinking Water
- Water makes up approximately 70% of a human’s body weight – but DON’T stop drinking water to lose weight!
- Approximately 80% of your brain tissue is made of water (about the same percentage of water found in a living tree).
- The average amount of water you need per day is about 3 liters (13 cups) for men and 2.2 liters (9 cups) for women.
- By the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost more than 1 percent of its total water.
- Drinking water can help you lose weight by increasing your metabolism, which helps burn calories faster.
- The average person could live without food for nearly a month, but we could only survive about one week without water—that’s how essential water is to human life.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Drinking enough water everyday can help reduce heart disease and cancer. Water helps flush toxins out of your body, and the fewer toxins that come into contact with your colon, bladder, and other organs, the less chance that critical ailments can develop.
- Good hydration can help reduce cavities and tooth decay. Water helps produce saliva, which keeps your mouth and teeth clean.
Call us… Night or Day! (317) 660-6992.
Earning Trust Since 1946
Mr Plumber Service Area
Call us 24 hours a day, 365 days a year: