Here’s What You Should Know About Carbon Filters
Carbon filtering uses a bed of activated carbon to remove contaminants and impurities by chemical adsorption. Active charcoal carbon filters can effectively remove many chemicals including: chlorine, benzene, radon, trihalomethane (THM) compounds, and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) such as pesticides and herbicides. They also remove bad tastes and odors from your home’s water.
Carbon filters do not effectively remove dissolved inorganic contaminants and heavy metals such as minerals, salts, arsenic, fluoride, nitrates, sulfate. A reverse osmosis system should be considered to remove them.
Want to learn more about carbon filters? Call us… Night or Day! (317) 660-4919 .
Chlorine… Good or Bad?
GOOD… Chlorine has done a good job in killing off most microorganisms in the water.
BAD… Chlorine treatment does not absolutely ensure that your water is safe to drink.
HEALTH RISKS… Cancer risk among people using chlorinated water is as much as 93% higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine.
Chlorine in your drinking water… what do you need to know?
We have relied on chlorine to purify our water and kill unwanted microorganisms, and it has done a good job of killing most of them for over 100 years. But there are some down sides.
Chlorine treatment does not absolutely ensure the faucets in our home provide drinking water that is free of unhealthy microorganisms. Bacteria e-coli can occasionally be found in chlorinated tap water. So chlorine treatment doesn’t guarantee safe drinking water.
There are numerous health concerns related to chlorinated water that you can learn about here.
The above article poses the question “Do you know what happens when you put chlorine into a fish bowl?” Answer: All of the fish die. That is why fish tanks come with a de-chlorinator. So then why are we drinking and showering in chlorinated water?
Our water quality expert can visit your home and analyze your water for only $17. Chlorine is only one of the things that the water quality analysis can reveal.
Facts About Drinking Water
- Water makes up approximately 70% of a human’s body weight – but DON’T stop drinking water to lose weight!
- Approximately 80% of your brain tissue is made of water (about the same percentage of water found in a living tree).
- The average amount of water you need per day is about 3 liters (13 cups) for men and 2.2 liters (9 cups) for women.
- By the time you feel thirsty, your body has lost more than 1 percent of its total water.
- Drinking water can help you lose weight by increasing your metabolism, which helps burn calories faster.
- The average person could live without food for nearly a month, but we could only survive about one week without water—that’s how essential water is to human life.
- Good hydration can prevent arthritis. With plenty of water in your body, there is less friction in your joints, thus less chance of developing arthritis.
- Drinking enough water everyday can help reduce heart disease and cancer. Water helps flush toxins out of your body, and the fewer toxins that come into contact with your colon, bladder, and other organs, the less chance that critical ailments can develop.
- Good hydration can help reduce cavities and tooth decay. Water helps produce saliva, which keeps your mouth and teeth clean.